Venice at Carnival!!

Hello! Yesterday I went to Venice. I was going to go today but the weather forecast was awful (and it is! It's super snowy). I was at my host brothers rugby match about a half hour from home when we got a call saying I could go then, but I had to catch the train in like an hour! So my host dad and I rushed back to the house, I grabbed my stuff, and then we rushed to the train station. I was thissss close to missing the train!!! I didn't really have time to be nervous about the fact I was taking the train for the first time, alone...haha. There were sooo many people, all the seats were filled and literally every inch of space was full of standing people. Everything was extra crowded because of carnival.The train ride usually takes about an hour to Venice from Rovigo, but since it's carnival and there were people fighting to squeeze on at every stop...it took about 2 hours.

When we finally got there I met up with a few other people, like 2 of my friends from Germany and a girl from Brazil. We pretty much just walked around and ate and drank for 4 hours. It was so fun though, anywhere you go the food is to die for!!! It's SO GOOD! A typical food that is everywhere in Italy around carnival time is frittelle, and it's delicious! It comes in a few different ways but it'ls basically all the same. Here is a little more information. It's like a donut but better! There is also this drink called a spritze that has fruit juice, champagne  water, and idk what else..but it's equally delicious! I think it's usually a summer thing but they had it at carnival anyways. If you're curious about carnival and what it exactly is here is a link to the official website! From what I know it's a celebration before easter, because it is supposedly thought that you should party and eat and celebrate before you give everything up for lent.

We went back to the train station around 5, and the others left while my friend Sara and I waited for the next train that stopped in both Monselice (where she lives) and Rovigo. There were two coming at around the same time, and both were totally full. There was no way we could fit on them and train station workers were literally shoving people away from the trains...hahahaha it was absolutely ridiculous. The whole time I was thinking thank goddd I'm with Sara, because she's been in italy for 5 months so she knows the language. And she knows the train system...we obviously don't have that on MDI so I had no idea what I was doing. We finallly caught a train around 7:45. We had to run to the platform and everyone else was racing in that direction to try to get on it! I have honestly never been in a crazier situation, I don't even know how to describe but it was absolutely ridiculous. People are crazy!! I'm clearly not from a city...hahaha. Everyone was yelling and pushing I was SO relieved when we got on the train. It took a long time to get back to Rovigo, we kept stopping in random places and slowing down because who knows why! When Sara got off at her stop I was kind of nervous I was gonna miss mine...but I asked around (IN ITALIAN!) to make sure Rovigo was the next stop. I couldn't have been happier to see my host parents at the station, and we went home and the whole family was there because it was the birthday party for my host moms mother. It was fun to meet everyone that I hadn't already. This weekend we are going to Milan to see my uncle Taylor preform, he just happens to have a concert at this time! I'll write about it later! Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts