halfway done, but feels like i've just begun.

Ciao ragazziii!

So today is halfway through my time here in Italy. I don't know how I feel about that, first thought is to cry, curl up in a ball..then run to try and renew my visa. But I also can't wait to see my friends and family, be near the ocean all the time again, drive my car, watch the sun set from Cadillac..basically I miss my island more than I can express. I've fallen in love with Italy though and I'm just starting to really get the language and know my way around my city here. Things are beginning to really fall in place...yet it's already halfway over. I've had the most amazing experience so far. There 's been times when I've hated it, holding back tears and wanting to curse everyone in the room who was making me uncomfortable or asking me weird questions or making me feel like a loser (unintentionally, no hard feelings). But then theres also been the times when I've met people that I now couldn't imagine my life without...and I thought to myself "how is it possible that this person has been living here my whole life while I've been a world away ,and I never knew? If i hadn't come here I never would have known them..." and that thought really scares me. At the same time it's eye opening to know there are people like that all over the world, and basically just means that I can't wait to get home, finish my last year of school, and travel back to Italy and also a million other places I plan on going. (college can wait!)

I've had the experience of attending a school system completely different that in my country, through this I realized how awesome school in America is...we def take that for granted! From the day I first arrived everyone in my school was so welcoming and curious. Before I came here the thought of getting up in front of strangers and talking about myself was unbearable. But after having no choice but to do so (multiple times), the fears started to wear off! Last week when I was in Trani I had to talk in front of everyone (IN ITALIAN) and I really though I was gonna puke or die up there, but nothing is as bad as you really imagine it might be. 


Some of the most amazing people I've met so far are the other exchange students here that are going through the exact thing I am right now. There's no better way to get close to someone then to take a leap of faith and move to another country and have to face the same types of challenges.  These are some photos of just a few some of my favorite people, these guys are amazing! It's safe to say we've become family, and I'll never forget the great times we have and are yet to have together:)

Before my first Italian disco.. that's def something we don't have in the US ! 
I got the visit the city of my dreams, and better yet live just 40 min away from it. The weather is finally warming up ( its actually like really hot now..)and I plan on going again next thursday:) Nothing beats the pure joy you feel in your heart when you see something beautiful and new and you get to walk around and live in it, I've become addicted to that feeling..while thats so cheesy there's really no other way to put it.. ! 


I got to stay in one of the most beautiful and charming cities I've visited so far, and see my best friend, sister, and heart in Trani. There's nothing better than hugging one of the closest people to you after having been away from something so familiar for so long! Nellie is coming here for 4 nights in June, and I love that she is in Italy living her own version of the same experience, this way we can keep our Italian good after we return home;) From the moment we were born we've taken every big first step together and she's my rock! 

And lastly, from the moment I was shaking and scared and stepped off the train in this little foreign town, alone for the first time I was greeted by the most loving, sweet family. Since that day they have and continue to be my biggest support system here. They have been incredibly patient from when I couldn't understand a word of Italian, and still are because I still have so much to learn of the language. We went from having two dictionaries in the kitchen at all times to now just changing the words around to explain something. And without their encouragement I'm not sure I would have believed in myself enough to trust that the language will come/is coming along...having them on the sidelines cheering me on has meant so much to me and I know I'll never be able to thank them enough for taking me in as their own since the day I first arrived. 


 It brings tears to my eyes to just think about leaving, but I know I still have half the time left here. I'm proud of myself and thankful for everything every day and I'm ready to have an amazing next few months!!! Ti amo, l'italia <3

Comments

Popular Posts